When times are tough, folks yearn for the “good old days.” However, most of us wouldn’t really want to travel back in time for complex dental work. For endodontic procedures such as root canal therapy, patient outcomes and happiness have improved immensely, on the heels of improvements in technology and treatment techniques.
Here’s a brief list of just some ways root canal therapy has gotten better over recent generations.
Advancements In Root Canal Therapy
- Diagnostic imaging, for better treatment. When root canals were first performed, dentists didn’t have even basic imaging technology to guide their work. Today, treatments can be pinpointed with Cone Beam Computed Tomography, allowing endodontists a full 3-D view of your teeth.
- Local anesthetics allow a comfortable treatment. The earliest root canal treatments happened before the advent of anesthesia. Today’s patients have largely pain-free experiences through local anesthetics. Further, if dental anxiety is an issue, sedation dentistry can provide a gentle solution.
- Microsurgical tools allow precision canal cleaning and shaping. The first root-canal shaping tool was developed by Edwin Maynard in the mid-1800s, created from a watch spring. Today’s precise tools for cleaning and shaping infected root canals are developed task-specifically, continually refined, and always crafted with your teeth in mind.
- New cleansing technologies ensure more complete treatment. Top endodontic practices now use the GentleWave Procedure, a root canal treatment that uses fluid dynamics to ensure superior canal cleaning. The result is a faster, less invasive root canal with minimal pain and rapid healing.
- Restorations ensure root canal treatments remain successful. Early root canal treatments were not followed by the placement of restorations such as a permanent crown. This critical step has hugely enhanced the long-term success rate of root canals, allowing a properly cared for root canal treatment to often last a lifetime.
At Phoenix Endodontic Group, practitioners use all our available advances to provide state-of-the-art treatment.
“When you enter one of our treatment rooms, every aspect of your root canal treatment has been evaluated and selected to provide you with the safest, most comfortable treatment possible. Our goal is preserving your natural teeth, so you can enjoy them for a lifetime,” says Dr. Jacqueline S. Allen, founder of the practice.